How can I help you?
The kinds of projects that need writing and editing are virtually limitless. I’m still developing my services, so if you have an unusual project in mind (or one that doesn’t quite match what I’ve listed below), you can still contact me! I’ll be happy to discuss it with you and determine whether I’m a good fit for what you’re looking for.
These are the services I currently offer for books, articles, brochures, and other content:
Is this correct?
I focus solely on this question as a proofreader, since matters of taste or preference belong in the copy editing realm. With that in mind, these are the items I perform on every proof:
- Mark grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors
- Check for consistency in all design elements (page numbers, running heads, etc.)
- Confirm adherence to The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th Edition, or any other style guideline you prefer
- Verify all Bible references and quotations (if applicable)
- If the material is typeset, I mark distracting text such as stacks, blocks, breaks, and widows and orphans
If your project is a Word document, I use the Track Changes feature. If it is a hard copy, I use standard proofreading marks.
For my proofreading services, I generally charge $9/hour. That being said, I will always ask for sample pages, just to get a feel for your project’s unique needs. Once I have an idea of what you’re looking for, we can discuss a price that works for both of us.
Is this the best it can be?
I focus on matters of style and content as a copy editor. You are the author, but no matter how great your writing is, there’s always something that can be improved. These are the items I flag for your attention in every copy edit:
- Mechanical (grammar) as well as substantive (content) weaknesses
- Issues with clarity of thought and progression of ideas
- Errors in grammar, spelling, punctuation, and factual content
Just like with my proofreading services, I use Track Changes if your project is a Word document, and standard proofreading marks if it is a hard copy.
For my copy editing services, I generally charge $4/page. (A page is double-spaced, 12-point, Times New Roman font). As always, I try to be accommodating where I can. If you contact me with sample pages, we can discuss what you need and whether I’m the best match for the job!